Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A chat with Mark Tran, director of All About Dad


Winning the Cinequest 19 Audience Choice Award has meant nothing but good things for San Jose local Mark Tran, the young writer and director of the hit film All About Dad. The film, which was shot right here in San Jose, makes its theatrical debut at Camera 3 on Apr. 17 - 23. Check out the trailer below. We had a brief conversation with the talented movie maker about his new film project, the response to All About Dad and where to find the best Vietnamese food in San Jose.


The Wave: How are things going?

Mark Tran: It’s been busy. Reading a script for a new feature I’m doing. It’s a Vietnam crime drama about Vietnamese gangsters in the early ’90s.


TW: Is it autobiographical like All About Dad?

MT: No, no. [Laughs] Well, not anymore. I try to stay off the radar. [Laughs]


TW: Your film All About Dad is making its theatrical debut at Camera 3 in San Jose on April 17 – 23. What does it feel like to have the success you’ve had in your hometown?

MT: It’s intimidating to be in the spotlight here, but at the same time it’s great to get support from the local community, from where I grew up, from the faculty. I can rely on this built-in audience. I’m relying on the merit of the film here.


TW: We heard it will screen at Camera 12 for two weeks if all goes well; is that correct?

MT: It will play an extra two weeks depending on ticket sales and reviews. We haven’t had the film reviewed in any major newspapers yet. In order to have it play at Camera 12 we need to buy a film print, which costs about $25,000. That’s a good portion of the entire budget of the film.


TW: How much did the film cost to make?

MT: All I can say is that it was made for under $100,000 and above $1.


TW: Did Wes Anderson have a big influence on you and the film?

MT: Absolutely. I’d say he had a big influence on the film, his visual style, the awkward silence moments, and the fact that there are no villains. But I’d say films in general had a big influence on me.


TW: Does your new project have a title yet?

MT: Saigon, California.


TW: Is it a strait up crime drama or is there any dark comedy?

MT: I’d say there’s always room for some comedy, or a character with comic relief. The script was already written though. It’s the first time I’ve ever directed something that’s not my own.


TW: Have you learned a lot since All About Dad?

MT: A lot. I was 22 when I directed All About Dad. It was my first feature. I learned how to speak to actors, learned about writing, how to handle myself on the set. With All About Dad the big thing I learned was to never compromise unless I had to.


TW: Where’s a good place to eat Vietnamese food in San Jose?

MT: I like going to Vung Tau on Santa Clara Street. Really great food. I love it. I eat there a lot.


TW: What would be your dream situation with All About Dad? What would you like to see happen with the film?

MT: It’s tough to say. I’m just trying to stay grounded right now. What already happened exceeded my wildest dreams. What came out was a very good and enjoyable film and I just hope to get it into more theaters. It’s not just for Asian audiences. It’s for people in general. There are so many characters that a lot of people connect with.




No comments:

Post a Comment